8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
1500 Spring Garden St #1200, Philadelphia, PA 19130
DM101 – Philadelphia
Registration Rates: $125 DMAW Member / $100 DMAW Member (Nonprofit)
Registration Rates: $150 DMAW Nonmember / $130 Non-member (Nonprofit)
Registration fee includes Continental Breakfast, Lunch and Breaks. Contact us about our special group rate to get your entire team trained for less.
This full-day seminar provides a thorough understanding of the essentials of the direct marketing effort and more. The all-important “What’s” and “How’s” that go into a successful direct marketing program. The attendees will come away with proven techniques and practical knowledge which will immediately enhance their understanding of the complete direct mail process. Taught by industry leaders, you will take away important information and answers to questions such as:
- What goes into a strong creative offer?
- What is the right list and how can I find it?
- What data hygiene/processing options are right for your organization?
- What can you do to ensure effective and cost-efficient production?
- How can I best handle the incoming responses?
- What are the benefits of database marketing?
- How do I integrate online efforts with other direct marketing channels?
- When and how should I use telemarketing?
- The strategies and techniques that will be taught have the potential to immediately improve response rates, save your organization money, and eliminate the potential of mistakes by understanding the process and knowing what to look for along the way.
This seminar is a must for not only those that are new to direct marketing, but anyone who wants to catch up on what’s going on across the industry.
8:30 – 9:00 AM – Registration
9:00 – 10:00 AM – Creative
Speaker: Anne Senft, Vice President, Avalon Consulting
After segmentation strategy, copy and design are the two most critical elements of any campaign. This section will cover the most critical components of creative strategy:
- How to get attention
- Crafting a strong fundraising offer
- The key elements of fundraising success
- Integrating your online and offline message
10:00 -10:50 AM – Lists
Speaker: Jeanette Cassano, Senior Vice President, Belardi/Wong.
This session will provide unique insights and information surrounding both the organization’s donor file, and the mailing list’s that make up new donor acquisition efforts. The discussion will include topics such as:
- The Donor File – Most Important Asset for an Organization
- Types of Lists – Markets and Targeting
- Sources of Information & Types of List Transactions
- Structure of Acquisition Plan & Strategy
- Education & Fundraising
- Attrition & Acquisition of Donors
10:50 – 11:00 AM – Break
11:00 – 11:50 AM – Data Hygiene/Data Processing
Speaker: Lori Barao, Manager of Operations, MMI Direct
The understanding and proper use of, both data hygiene and data processing technologies can dramatically affect the success of any direct marketing campaign. This section will provide attendees with:
- A complete understanding of the many data hygiene options that are currently available. How to use them, what to look for, what kind of results to expect, and the USPS requirements surrounding the use of data hygiene products.
- The knowledge of the many steps involved in the Merge/Purge process, and how to best use the technology to your advantage. From file conversion to matching logic to file output, what you should be asking, expecting, and looking for.
11:50 AM – 12:40 PM – Production Services
Speaker: Leigh Ann Doyle, Account Director, PMG
You don’t have to be a printing or mailshop expert to deliver a successful direct mail campaign on schedule and on budget. Takeaways:
- Working knowledge of the production process and the elements of production
- A template to help you build an effective production schedule
- Tips to help you reduce postage expenses
12:40 PM – 1:30 PM – Break / Lunch
1:30 – 2:20 PM – Database/Analytics
Speaker: Robert Connelly, Account Executive & Strategist, Integral
Below are the five things attendees will come away learning:
- What you should expect from a Database
- How to get the most out of your system
- The importance and value of a system that is easy to use
- Understanding what data needs to be collected
- The difference between Process Data versus Analyzing Data
2:20 – 2:30 PM – Break
2:30 – 3:20 PM – Digital Marketing
Speaker: Amy Padre, Senior Digital Services Director, Avalon Consulting
Integrating the online channel into your fundraising and communications mix is critical. But it’s also critical to apply the same direct marketing disciplines to your online program that you do in your other channels. This section will cover the basics of an online program. Below are the six things attendees will come away learning:
- The components that are the foundation of any online program
- How to integrate online with other direct marketing channels
- How to build an email list that will stay engaged
- The anatomy of an email campaign (with examples and testing options)
- Some ways to capture data to aid in list segmentation and ask strategies
- How to seize online-only opportunities to engage your audience
3:20 – 4:00 PM – Telefundraising
Speaker: Mark Mitchell, Vice President of Business Development, SD&A Teleservices
The telephone is a vital avenue for fundraising. But, when and how should a nonprofit use it? Will calling donors leave a wake of negative reactions, or can it possibly cultivate a deeper commitment to the organization’s mission? This session pulls the curtain back to reveal the inner workings of telefundraising. In this session, you’ll discover:
- How to make the most positive impact with a telephone campaign
- What telefundraising firms don’t want you to know
- How to integrate telefundraising to produce the greatest synergy with your other fundraising channels
4:00 – 4:30 PM – Wrap Up/Q&A.
This DM101 is available for CFRE Continuing Education Points! Full participation in DM101 is applicable for 5.0 points in Category 1.B – Education of the CFRE International application for initial certification and/or recertification.
Participation in this DM101 may assist you in learning or reviewing concepts covered on the Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) examination as detailed on the Test Content Outline provided by CFRE International. CFRE International does not sponsor or endorse any educational programs and this DM101 was not developed in conjunction with CFRE International.
More events you might be interested in
Webinar: Maximize Moments that Matter with Awesome Automation
DMAW Annual Business Meeting and Keynote
Webinar: MAXI (How to Complete a Submission)
Webinar: Data Privacy and Legislative Update